Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Getting Started...

Hello again! Now that I've gotten my blog started up, I'm hoping to reach more people in an effort to begin my composing career. Aside from this site, I've been working on a Myspace page, a Twitter account, my Facebook page, and of course, my Youtube channel, and let me say, it's quite a bit of work! Again, if you like what you see and have any questions or comments, please feel free to contact me. I can't tell you how much I would love to get out of my rotating shift work at 3M!

I have to be honest, I'm really bad with categories and genres. But I realize the importance of having a personal niche as a musician, so I'm placed in a bit of a conundrum. I suppose I should start with my musical interests; this is difficult since there isn't much of any music I dislike (except perhaps the dingier pop and rap music these days). However, what is clear in all of the music I write is the heavy inspiration I draw from New Age music and Progressive music. I'm very enamored with intelligent, creative, yet tasteful music that stirs the mind and emotions; I enjoy artists such as George Winston, Sergei Rachmaninoff, Frederick Chopin, George Crumb, and many others. However, I'm also a huge fan of heavy metal, particularly the progressive edge of it, which is once again quite carefully crafted. Groups I enjoy include Dream Theater (perhaps my favorite), Tool, Slipknot, Apocalyptica, Motoi Sakuraba, Porcupine Tree, and many more. For these reasons, I will label myself "Progressive/New Age" for the time being. Lastly, because of my proficiency at the keyboard, most people will remember me for my myriad piano compositions and performances, more so than my work for large ensembles and chamber groups.

I hope this is a helpful first step towards finding my place in the world of music, both in the physical world and online. I will continue to post my Youtube videos to this blog every so often, and I hope you enjoy what you hear! Here is a link to my channel, where you will find all of the videos I can get online: MERTx123 Jared Hoeft's Music Thank you so much for reading, and have a fantastic week!

No comments:

Post a Comment